How to Roast Pumpkin Seeds
Difficulty level: Easy
Pumpkins are a key ingredient in some wonderful recipes, notably pumpkin pie and pumpkin soup – not to mention jack-o’lanterns – but what can you do with the seeds? Roast ’em!
Cleaning Pumpkin Seeds
Scoop out the seeds and pulp from the pumpkin that you are going to carve or roast.
- Place in a bowl of cool water.
- Run your fingers through the seeds to find the stringy pulp holding seeds together, and pull them off, discarding the pulp. You don’t have to remove every tiny speck, but this can still take a while, so you might want to sit down.
- Pat the seeds dry with a clean kitchen towel.
Roasting Pumpkin Seeds
- Preheat oven to 300.
- Combine 1 t oil or plus ¼ t salt per cup of seeds. If you like, you can add other spices like pepper, paprika, and/or garlic.
- Toss seeds with oil mixture until well coated.
- Spread evenly on a cookie sheet.
- Bake until golden, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Let cool on paper towels.
Roasted pumpkin seeds are a great snack and can also be added to soups and salads.
Appetizers & Side Dishes • Autumn • Cooking Tips • Easy Recipes • Flexible Recipes • Kids' Recipes • Quickies