Appetite for Reduction
125 fast and filling low-fat vegan recipes
Vegan cookbook review
There are now so many vegans and, more importantly, vegan cookbooks that authors are branching out into other specialties. In Appetite for Reduction, Isa Chandra Moskowitz delves into food that is not only free of meat and animal products, but also low in saturated fat and sugar. But not to worry, there is no corresponding loss in variety or flavor.
Appetite for Reduction table of contents covers the range of everything you’d expect from a great cookbook:
- Full-on salads (taco salad, couscous with pears, Caesar salad with eggplant bacon…)
- Totally stuffed sides (unfried rice, oven-baked onion rings, eggplant kibbeh…)
- Rub-your-tummy veggies (pineapple collards, sweet & salty carrots, sautéed escarole…)
- Main event beans (chickpea piccata, mango BBQ beans, unfried refried beans…)
- Sink-your-teeth-into tofu & tempeh (blackened tofu, red Thai tofu, buffalo tempeh…)
- Talk pasta to me (& noodles) (easy breezy cheezy sauce, pasta de los Angeles, mac & trees…)
- Soul-satisfying soups (butternut apple, broccoli chowder, Peruvian purple potato…)
- Comfort curries, chili, & stews (vegetable korma, chili verde, sweet potato drop biscuits…)
There’s nutritional information for each recipe, including fat, carbs, fiber, sugar, protein, cholesterol, sodium, vitamins A and C, calcium, iron, and of course calories. Most of the recipes in Appetite for Reduction have fewer than 400 calories, like Lasagna with roasted cauliflower ricotta & spinach (300 calories per serving) and Curried chickpeas & greens (240). In fact, many have less than 200 calories, like Manhattan glam chowder (150) and Masala baked tofu (90).
The variety of recipes is truly impressive, and there are additional nutritional and shopping tips for nearly every recipe. If you’re looking for a way to give up fat but not flavor, take a bite out of Appetite for Reduction.
Buy Appetite for Reduction:
Isa Chandra Moskowitz, The Post Punk Kitchen
Other cookbooks by this author:Cookbooks • Vegan Cookbooks