65 everyday meal ideas for breakfast, lunch, and dinner with over 150 great-tasting down-home recipes
Vegan cookbook review
Comfort food varies from person to person, as it usually involves individual memories of being cared for by a parent or a grandparent and the special foods that they lovingly shared. But there are some dishes which are more universal, and that’s what Alicia C. Simpson’s Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food is all about. From breakfast to dessert, this cookbook offers delicious vegan versions of classic comfort foods.
The book starts out with the author’s personal vegan history, a look at some vegan myths, and tips on stocking the perfect pantry and kitchen. After an unexpected but interesting section on energy-boosting green smoothies is a list of meal ideas and then the recipes:
- Breakfast (French toast, waffles, pancakes, biscuits, scrambles, omelettes, sausage)
- Side dishes (cornbread, mashed potatoes, various vegetables)
- Soups and salads (everything from alphabet to winter bean)
- Main courses (about 60, including sandwiches, pasta, enchiladas. burgers, tacos, and pizza)
- Sauces, dips, and dressings
- Desserts (sweet potato pie, cookies, cupcakes, fritters…)
The chik’n seitan recipe and variations (fried chik’n seitan, oven-fried chik’n seitan, spicy oven-fried chik’n seitan, and pecan-crusted chik’n seitan) are terrific, truly some of the best mock chicken I’ve had in over 20 years as a vegetarian. I also love the banana pancakes and sweet potato soup.
Check out Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food for a great collection of recipes and menus that will take you back to your childhood.
Buy Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food:
Also by Alicia C. Simpson: Quick and Easy Vegan Celebrations
Author’s website: The Lady and Seitan