How to Roast and Purée Pumpkin
Difficulty level: Easy
Sure, you can buy canned pumpkin, but it’s cheaper, healthier, and tastier to make your own pumpkin purée. All you need is a nice pumpkin (smaller is better), a few common kitchen tools, and some time.
How to roast pumpkin
- Wash the pumpkin and cut it in half from top to bottom (through the stem).
- Use a sturdy spoon to scoop out all of the soft flesh, including strings and seeds (set them aside for roasting!)
- Place pumpkin halves cut side down on lightly oiled cookie sheet and place in oven.
- Bake at 350-400 for 45 – 90 minutes – the amount of time depends on the size of the pumpkin. It’s done when you poke the skin with a fork and it goes easily into the flesh.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
Roasted pumpkin is delicious cubed or mashed and drizzled with olive oil and fresh herbs.
How to make pumpkin purée
- Scoop the roasted, cooled pumpkin flesh out of the shell and place in a bowl.
- Use a potato masher to thoroughly mash the pumpkin.
- 1 pound raw pumpkin = approximately 1 c pumpkin purée
Autumn • Cooking Tips • Easy Recipes • Vegan