- 2½ T olive oil, divided
- ½ pound potatoes, scrubbed and diced
- ½ pound tempeh, sliced into ½-inch pieces
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped, or 1 T tomato paste
- 1-2 T fresh herbs, minced, or 1-2 t dried herbs
- 2 T soy sauce
- ¼ c walnuts or pecans, chopped
- ¼ c cheese, grated (optional)
Toss the potatoes with a T of oil and bake at 375 until tender, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil over medium-high heat. Arrange the tempeh slices on one side and the onion on the other. Let the tempeh fry undisturbed for 2-3 minutes, until golden brown, then flip and repeat on other side. Meanwhile, stir the onion to sauté evenly. It’s ok if it browns, but don’t let it burn – turn down the heat as needed.
When the tempeh is evenly cooked, use the wooden spoon to chop it up, then mix it into the onion. Stir in the potatoes, tomato, herbs, soy sauce, and nuts and heat through.
Optional: Sprinkle with cheese, cover, and let sit for a minute or two to melt.