There’s nothing like a bowl of fresh, sweet fruit salad in the summer. No one really needs a recipe for fruit salad, but here are some ideas to get you started.
Fruits to Mix and Match
- Berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries…)
- Melon (watermelon, cantaloupe…)
- Remove the seeds from watermelons, citrus fruits, etc. – fruit salad is a lot more pleasant when you don’t have to spit seeds out after every bite. Using seedless grapes will save some work.
- Soft fruits like bananas should be laid on top; mixing them in might cause them to become mushy.
- A sprinkling of lemon juice will keep fruits from turning brown.
- Don’t use too much pineapple, as tongues often start hurting after eating a lot of this very acidic fruit.
- For a bit of protein, add some chopped nuts like walnuts or pecans.
Suggested Toppings & Accompaniments
- Citrus juice (lemon, lime, orange)
- Cottage cheese
- Fresh cream (plain or sweetened)
- Sour cream (plain or sweetened)
- Sugar (brown or white)
- Vinegar (e.g., raspberry or mild balsamic)
- Whipped cream
Brunch • Colorful Recipes • Desserts • Easter • Easy Recipes • Flexible Recipes • Kids' Recipes • Quickies • Raw • Salads • Spring • Summer • Vegan Recipes