Vegetarian Cheese “Steak”
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania is famous for its cheese steak sandwiches. Now you too can get a taste of this wonderful, hearty sandwich.
American Recipes • Classic Recipes • Easy Recipes • Quickies • Sandwiches and Burgers • Vegan
- large saucepan
- wooden spoon
- 1 T oil
- medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- medium bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
½ pound seitan, thinly sliced
- 1 T vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 sub rolls, pieces of French or Italian bread, or Kaiser rolls
Heat oil over medium heat, then stir in onion and bell pepper. Cover and sauté, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes, until soft.
Add seitan, cook for 2-3 minutes until golden, turn and repeat. Stir in Worcestershire, salt, and pepper, then top with cheese and let sit until it melts.
Assemble the sandwiches and serve!
Adapted from Robin Robertson’s The Vegetarian Meat and Potatoes Cookbook.
Buy it: Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk
||Key to abbreviations and conversions
|Mock Meat Recipes Sandwich Recipes Vegan Recipes Vegetarian Cookbooks