Although it doesn’t taste exactly like dairy sour cream, vegan sour cream is just as delicious and has a lovely, thick texture.
Yield: About 1 cup
Time: 5 minutes
- food processor or stock blender
- covered container
- ½ pound soft or silken tofu*
- 3 T grapeseed or olive oil
- 2 T lemon juice
- 2 t brown rice vinegar
- ¾ t salt
Process all of the ingredients in the food processor until smooth.
Transfer to the covered container and refrigerate for up to four days.
There are (at least) four delicious variations on this recipe; just make the sour cream as above, then add the following ingredients and process for another 30 seconds.
– ¼ c minced dill
– ¼ t white pepper
Ginger + chives
– 1 T ginger juice or peeled, chopped ginger
– 1 T minced chives or scallions
– ½ jalapeño, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
– 1 T minced shallot
* Soft tofu will make a thicker cream, while silken tofu will make it a bit lighter.
Adapted from Myra Kornfeld’s The Voluptuous Vegan.
Also try my mock sour cream made with tofu and cashew butter, which I think is even tastier.