Flavorful oven- or sun-dried tomatoes are the key ingredient in this spicy, herby southern Italian pasta dish.
Yield: 4 servings
Time: 20 minutes
- large pot with lid
- large bowl
- wooden spoon
- 1 pound penne or other pasta shape
- 1½ c oven-dried or oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, sliced into strips
- 10 large black olives, pitted and chopped
- 2 t capers, drained and rinsed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ t red pepper flakes
- 2 T fresh herbs, such as oregano, mint, basil, cilantro, parsley, and/or thyme, minced
- ⅓ c olive oil
Cook the pasta in plenty of salty boiling water until al dente.
Meanwhile, combine the remaining ingredients with ½ t salt and mix well.
Drain the pasta, then, while it’s still dripping, add it the bowl and toss.
Adapted from the recipe for "Penne with Oven-Dried Tomatoes, Olives, and Herbs" in The Complete Italian Vegetarian Cookbook, by Jack Bishop – read my review.