If you have a tagine, by all means use it! But you can also make this hearty, spicy Moroccan stew in a regular pot.
Yield: 6 servings
Time: 1 hour
- tagine, Dutch oven, or large pot with lid
- wooden spoon
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 large head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 3 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 c chickpeas, soaked and cooked or canned and drained
- 2 c crushed or diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 c vegetable broth
- ¼ c raisins
- 1½ t cumin
- 1 stick cinnamon or 1 t ground cinnamon
- 1 t turmeric
- ½ t harissa or a dash of cayenne
- ½ c toasted almonds, slivered or chopped
Heat the oil over medium heat, add onions, and sauté for about 5 minutes, until translucent. Add garlic and a dash of salt and sauté another minute.
Add everything except the almonds and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover, and simmer for an hour.
Remove cinnamon stick, top with almonds, and serve over your favorite grain.
Recipe adapted from The Urban Vegan – read my review.
Abbreviations | Conversions | Cooking tips