|Quick and easy eggplant curry that you can make in a slow cooker or on the stove.
||15 minutes active, plus up to 8 hours in slow cooker
- medium frying pan
- wooden spoon
- storage container with lid
- slow cooker or Dutch oven
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 t ginger, grated
- 1 pound (4½ c) eggplant, chopped
- 1 c water
- 1 t salt
- 1 t cumin
- ½ t garam masala
- ½ t turmeric
- pinch chile powder
Slow cooker instructions
- Night before: Heat oil over medium heat, add onion, and sauté 3-5 minutes, until translucent. Add garlic and sauté 2 more minutes.
- Transfer to container along with eggplant and refrigerate overnight
- Next day: Add eggplant and remaining ingredients to the slow cooker, and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Heat oil over medium heat, add onion, and sauté 3-5 minutes, until translucent. Add garlic and sauté 2 more minutes.
- Transfer to Dutch oven along with remaining ingredients and cook on very low, stirring occasionally, for 1-2 hours. If it gets too dry, add more water as needed.
Serve with rice or another grain.
Adapted from the recipe for “Baigan bharta” in The Vegan Slow Cooker: Simply Set It and Go with 160 Recipes for Intensely Flavorful, Fuss-Free Fare Fresh from the Slow Cooker or Instant Pot®, by Kathy Hester.
Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk
||Abbreviations | Conversions | Cooking tips