Black beans, zucchini, and a bit of cheese sandwiched between two tortillas – this may be the best quesadilla you’ve ever tasted.
Yield: 4 quesadillas
Time: 15 minutes
- large bowl
- large frying pan(s) or baking sheet
- basting brush or rubber spatula
- 2 pounds zucchini, grated
- 1½ t salt
- 30 oz cooked or canned black beans, drained
- 12 oz Monterey Jack, grated
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 8 eight-inch corn or flour tortillas
- olive oil
Toss zucchini with salt in the colander, and squeeze out excess water.
Combine zucchini with beans, cheese, green onions, and jalapeño.
Brush one side of each tortilla with oil. Place four tortillas oil side down and spread each with one fourth of the zucchini-bean mixture. Top each one with an oil-side-up tortilla.
1. Stove: place one quesadilla in a frying pan and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes on each side, until golden.
2. Broiler: Place quesadillas on baking sheet and broil about 1-2 minutes per side, until golden.
Recipe from Peter Berley and Melissa Clark’s Fresh Food Fast: Delicious, seasonal vegetarian meals in under an hour.