Sweet-and-sour quinoa that serves as a perfect bed for your favorite tofu or tempeh recipe.
Yield: 4 servings
Time: 25 minutes
- medium saucepan with lid
- wooden spoon
- 2 c water
- 1 c dry quinoa
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- ½ t salt
- scant 4 T soy sauce
- 2½ T agave
- 2-4 t lemon juice, rice vinegar, apple cider vinegar or a combination
- 2 t sesame oil
- ¾-1 t fresh ginger or ½ t dry ginger
- 1 T sesame seeds (garnish)
- ¼ c green onions, sliced (garnish)
Combine water, quinoa, garlic, and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and let simmer for 12-14 minutes, until the quinoa germs have burst from the grains.
Remove from heat and add soy, agave, lemon, oil, and ginger. Mix well, cover, and let sit for 5 minutes.
Stir, taste, and add more salt/lemon/etc as desired.
Garnish with seeds and onions and serve hot.
This recipe for "Teriyaki Quinoa" is from Eat, Drink & Be Vegan, by Dreena Burton.