A sweet-tart bread that is equally good for dessert, tea, or breakfast.
Yield: 1 loaf or 18 muffins
Time: 1 hour
- bread pan or muffin tin
- 2 large bowls
- rubber spatula
- 2½ T vegetable oil
- 1 c whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ c cornmeal*
- 1½ t baking powder
- ½ t baking soda
- ½ t salt
- ½ c milk
- ¼ c sour cream or
- ¾ c sugar
- 2 t orange extract or orange zest
- 1 t vanilla
- 1 c fresh or frozen cranberries, or ¾ c dried**
- ½ c pecans or walnuts, chopped
Preheat oven to 375° and oil the bread pan or muffin tin.
Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in one bowl, and milk, sour cream, 2 T oil, sugar, orange, and vanilla in the other.
Fold the wet into the dry, mixing until just combined. Fold in cranberries and nuts.
Spread into the pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 45-50 minutes for a loaf or 30-40 minutes for muffins.
Cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
* This gives the cranberry bread more than a hint of "cornbreadness." If that doesn’t appeal, use another type of flour instead.
** If using dried cranberries, add another ¼ c of milk.
Adapted from the recipe for "Cranberry Nut Quick Bread" in 500 Vegan Recipes, by Celine Steen and Joni Marie Newman – read my review.